ABOUT FBC PALATKA
We believe the Bible, both Old and New Testaments, to be completely and verbally inspired of God. The Bible, in its original autographs, though penned by men, is fully God's inerrant and infallible revelation, miraculously inspired and preserved for the enlightenment of every generation of humankind. We recognize that only by the illumination of the Holy Spirit is the Scripture correctly interpreted and understood.
2Timothy 3:16-17; 2Peter 1:20-21; Psalm 12:6-7
We believe that there is only one God: Creator and sustained of all things, ultimate Sovereign over all things, infinitely perfect and holy, who is eternal: having no beginning or end. God is self-sufficient, self-existent, and eternally existing in three persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. We affirm that all things were created by Him and for Him, and that the ultimate purpose of all things is to please Him and glorify Him. He is the foundation head of all truth and righteousness, and is full of mercy and love.
Deuteronomy 6:4; Exodus 3:14; Colossians 1:15-16; Revelation 4:11
We believe that it is the love and mercy of Goa that caused Him to provide salvation from sin and its penalty. Salvation is the free gift of God (neither merited nor secured in part nor whole by any virtue or work of man) to be received only through repentance toward God and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. All true believers have, as a present possession, the gift of eternal life, a perfect imputed righteousness, son ship in the family of God, deliverance from all condemnation, every spiritual resource needed for life and godliness, and the Divine guarantee that they shall never perish. Salvation is initiated by God and received by grace through faith in Jesus Christ. Genuine salvation produces a changed life that glorify God.
Ephesians 2:8-10; John 1:10-13; John 5:24; 1John 5:11-13
1870: established by rev. Charles (old father) Jones
1926: the current church sanctuary was erected
1970: church celebrated its 100th anniversary
1995: church celebrated its 125th anniversary
2014: purchased the former td bank at 511 st johns ave.
On February 6, 1870, twenty-one faithful Baptist met at the home of Rev. Charles (Old Father) Jones at Hotel and River streets and organized the First Baptist Church of Palatka. The first church building was built that summer and dedicated in January, 1871.
On July 11, 1926, the present sanctuary was dedicated and was the tallest building in Palatka at the time. Through the Great Depression, it is reported that 12 men/families made great sacrifice, and some mortgaged their homes to save the church in the economic crisis. It was an amazing sacrifice with a vision for tomorrow that we continue to enjoy